Monday 1 November 2010

Other Students' Thriller Openings Analysis

'Room To Breath'

Genre: Hybrid - Thriller/Romance

Audience: 15

Technical Ability: Level 2

This is how I graded the thriller intro after watching it, I believed it was a good plot to the intro but aslong as it's positives it also had some negatives. I classified it '15' because it was rather distressing but I think it was suitable for people aged atleast 15.

Positives:
  • It had steady shots when appropriate.
  • Good lighting choices.
  • Appropriate editing.
  • Good contrast in music.
  • Good plot.
Negatives:
  • There wasn't a wide range of shot distances.
  • Some of the sounds weren't well timed, like the girl's scream.
  • It seemed more like a film trailer rather than an opening.
What I have learned from this film opening: I thought the contrast in this opening was effectful and I could possibly include some sort of contrast in my opening.


'Unrequited Loved'

Genre: Hybrid - Thriller/Romance

Audience: 12A

Technical Ability: Level 3

This is how I graded this film opening, i believed the editing was especially good but I didn't think the opening had a good plot. I classified it '12A' because it did follow the conventions of the thriller genre with the girl cutting the paper with a pair of scissors, but it wasn't scary nor distressing.

Positives:
  • Very good editing.
  • It had steady shots when appropriate.
  • Good use of audio and sounds.
  • Good close-up shots.
Negatives:
  • Very continuous.
  • Weak plot.
  • The girl cutting the paper with a pair of scissors was a bit of a cliché.
  • Not a wide range of shot distances.
  • I thought sequences were too quick.
What i have learned from this film opening: I thought the editing was very good and i thought the quick cuts were effective so I may include quick cuts in my film opening.

'Root Cause'

Genre: Thriller/Horror

Audience: 15

Technical Ability: Level 4

This is how I graded this film opening, I believed the editing was very good and they used camera effects well created a traditional black and white style which suited the content. I classified it '15' because although there was one particular disturbing scene, it wasn't presented graphically.

Positives:
  • Good editing
  • Good camera effects
  • Good plot
  • Good camera angles/shots
  • Good use of non-diagetic music
Negatives:
  • Continuety error
  • Sometimes the camera wasn't steady
What I have learned from this opening: I thought the camera effects in this opening were good, and I might use this opening to help me incorperate some camera effects in my film opening.

No comments:

Post a Comment